Your path to success begins here.
UNI's Department of Communication Studies has a successful internship program with an average of 40 students in the 'field' every semester. These opportunities provide students with unique experiences they could not receive in the classroom.
Internships should be considered a unique three-way partnership that involves the students, the business/organization, and the university. Students have the opportunity to learn new skills in a business/organization and apply theoretical concepts that they have learned in the classroom. Therefore, interns receive academic credit for working a specific number of hours for the business/organization while completing academic work.
Deadline to register for a FALL Internship: Sept. 15
Deadline to register for a SPRING Internship: Feb. 15
Deadline to register for a SUMMER Internship: June 15
Complete the application early and submit well IN ADVANCE of deadline. Supervisors must also send job descriptions also well IN ADVANCE of deadline.
Late applications will not be accepted.
Students majoring in Political Communication, Public Relations, and Digital Media (Journalism, Media Leadership, and Media Production emphases) are REQUIRED to complete a three-hour internship. For each hour of credit, you must work 50 hours. Therefore, most students will take a three-hour internship and work 150 hours.
To gain internship credit you must:
- Be of Junior standing (60+ hours of completed coursework)
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.5 in the major
- Have completed twelve hours of major coursework prior to the semester of the internship
- Digital Media majors/minors must have successfully completed Digital Media Production I (COMM DM:1655) prior to the semester of the internship.
- Public Relations majors/minors also must have successfully completed Public Relations Writing (COMM PR 3855) OR News Writing for Print Media (COMM DM 2653) prior to the semester of the internship.
- Digital Journalism minors also must have successfully completed News Writing for Print Media (COMM DM 2653) prior to the semester of their internship.
Finding an Internship
Places to search:
- Contact Career Services at 102 Gilchrist. Use CareerLink to look at and apply for opportunities.
- Approach businesses that you are interested in about the possibility of an internship, many are open to the idea.
- Join the Facebook Group:/https://www.facebook.com/groups/153765914715149/
- Pay attention to your email. The Director of Internships sends regular emails with internship opportunities.
- Check with your faculty.
- Complete the Online Form. Login to the UNI Job & Internship Board using your Cat ID: https://careerservices.uni.edu/job-board
- Schedule a pre-qualifying meeting with Career Services by calling 273-6857 or stopping by 102 Gilchrist Hall. At this meeting you will need to have your printed application and a current resume. Career Services will make sure that your intended placement is upstanding and you have met all of the pre-requisites.
- After meeting with Career Services, make an appointment with Nikki Harken (Lang 323, email@example.com) to receive final approval.
- If approval is given, academic requirements for internship credit will be reviewed. If approval is not given, Nikki will provide input for future steps.
- If the internship is approved, we will register you (you DO NOT register yourself).
Further information for:
Further information for:
Partnerships: For information on how to get an internship partnership started with the Department of Communication Studies, please email Nikki (Nichole) Harken at firstname.lastname@example.org